Profhilo is made from hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar chain molecule found in skin and throughout the body, identical across species. Hyaluronic acid attracts and binds water in the skin, providing volume and hydration, but also ‘cushions’ and supports collagen and elastin fibres and also provides a medium, or carrier, for the efficient transport of chemical messages between the cells.
Profhilo contains a high concentration of hyaluronic acid, exceptionally pure because its unique and patented manufacturing process does not involve the use of chemical cross-linking agents to bind the chains. It delivers great results as a treatment on its own or in combination with other aesthetics treatments currently on offer.
Treatment Time - 30-45 minutes.
Treatments required - 2 treatments at 4week intervals.
Maintenance – 1 treatment every 5-6 months.
Downtime – Can return to normal activities ie work, strenuous activity to be avoid for 24 hours.
Am I suitable for treatment?
A detailed medical history is taken at consultation to ensure you have no conditions that might increase risk of unwanted side effects, consultation is also important to discuss your expectations and whether or not this treatment is able to meet them.
With any injectable treatment;
• Treatment is not recommended if you are suffering from any skin infection in or near the treatment area or are unwell in any way (even a cold).
• If you are taking any medicines which affect bleeding, such as aspirin or warfarin.
• If you are currently or have recently completed a course of Roacutane (acne treatment) in the last 18 months.
• If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
• If you are planning to attend a special event when a bruise, should it occur, would be unacceptable to you.
• If you are planning to attend an important event and any adverse event described would be unacceptable to you, discuss with your clinician in advance of having treatment.
• Some over the counter medicines and supplements can also affect bleeding (make you more prone to bruising) as can alcohol- which should be avoided the day before and after treatment.
• Vigorous exercise, sun exposure, sun beds, sauna should be avoided for 48 hours, or as advised by your clinician, after treatment.
• If you are at all concerned about symptoms you were not expecting or not happy with, please contact immediately for advice. If necessary, an appointment will be made for you to be seen.
How does it work?
Profhilo is injected into the skin in a specific pattern depending on the area to be treated. Two treatments are required, 4 weeks apart. The first to stimulate, the second to ‘boost’ and ensure longevity. In some cases, and depending on your initial skin quality, you may benefit from a third treatment, typically 8 weeks from your second treatment.
Will it hurt?
The injections sting briefly, but patients generally report only a mild discomfort. A topical medical numbing cream can be applied if requested. After the treatment, you may experience some tenderness for the first 24- 72 hours
What areas can be treated?
Profhilo is used to treat skin laxity and improve skin quality. It can be used to treat skin laxity and skin quality, almost anywhere, common indications include;
• The face.
• Inner arms.
Are there any possible side effects?
Redness, tenderness, itching or swelling worsens after 3 days, rather than settling.
Blanching, mottled bruising/redness, or pain (beyond tenderness as you would expect with bruising or swelling).
Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction can include shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, difficulty swallowing, swelling of the tongue, eyelids, lips, hoarseness of the voice, stomach pain, nausea or diarrhoea. If you have any of the above symptoms, please report to your nearest Accident and Emergency Department or call 999 for an ambulance.
What post treatment care do I need to follow?
Most people can continue with normal activities. Some will have some redness, pin prick marks. Bruising is possible.
The product is injected in small ‘deposits’, you may be able to see them initially, but they settle usually within hours. It may be possible to feel the product where it has been injected under the skin. It will settle, there is no need to massage.
Make-up should not be worn for 12 hours
You are advised to avoid alcohol and vigorous exercise/swimming for 48 hours
Avoid sun-bathing, and extremes of heat or cold for 14 days post treatment.
Any bruising may take a few days to appear, arnica can be helpful in clearing bruising. It is advisable to avoid aspirin and alcohol for 12-48 hours after treatment.
Tenderness should settle as swelling and bruising goes down.